Preparing For a Neck Lift
A neck lift is usually performed as part of a face lift surgery. It is done to restore a youthful appearance to the jaw region. The procedure removes excess fat along the jaw and neck, creating a trimmer and firmer skin in the process. Results of a neck lift surgery are often long-lasting.
If you plan to get a neck lift done, your doctor will discuss one-on-one the preparation required for the procedure, which involves the following:
- Getting a medical evaluation done to understand your current health situation
- Including new medicines in your prescription chart or adjusting the dosage of existing medications
- Avoiding smoking and inhaling tobacco as they can delay recovery and cause wrinkles on the skin
- Stopping certain medications and health supplements that can increase the risk of bleeding. These include herbal supplements, aspirin, and anti-inflammatory medication.
Be prepared for a discussion with the doctor regarding the following:
- Use of anesthesia during the surgery
- Special instructions based on your health evaluation. This includes instructions on what you need to do on the night before the surgery and the morning of the surgery.
- Recovery, post-surgery care and subsequent doctor appointments
A neck lift is usually performed as an outpatient procedure. So, patients are not allowed to stay in the hospital for recovery, which is why your doctor may advise you to do the following:
- Make proper transportation arrangements to take you home after the surgery
- Have a family member or friend to help you for a night after the procedure